Wednesday, September 17, 2008

CHINA!!!!!!!!!!

So I flew into Shanghai about 2 weeks ago now. I was expecting to see a crazy skyline similar to flying into Hong Kong, but instead I saw this:



I really felt like I had been tricked. So, after landing, 7 of my classmates and I got on a bus and onto the freeway for a 4 hour bus ride. And this bus ride comes after a flight to from Oakland to SLC, SLC to LAX where i slept over night in the terminal, LAX to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Shanghai. Oh yeah, here's the 8 of us in Vancouver:



After the bus ride we got into Nanjing and it was just what I was hoping for. Huge buildings. Bright lights. Bikers and Scooters that double the amount of cars (and there's a lot of cars). Oh man was it exciting. So we got into our hostel and got settled and slept.

The next day we ate at a little place. It looked like this:



It was basically just a little tile area of someone's "house". It just had a little tin roof over it. It was some delicious noodles and beef that cost about 80 cents American.

Afterwards, we got settled a bit. So we went to walmart. And yes. Wal-mart does have a strangle hold on China as well. It's probably twice as crowded as any American Wal-mart that I've ever been in. It was a very stressful experience.

Did I mention I love the food here? This is my favorite place:


They have fried rice and chau mein that's like the tastiest thing I've ever eaten for like 75 cents. And it's kinda crazy. This place doesn't have any front walls or windows. That thing on the right is the kitchen. They just cook everything right out there for you. The cheap places are the best places too. We went to an expensive place to eat (we paid about $5 american each) and it was probably the worst meal that I've had here. Actually it definitely was. The place was very nice, but the food was kinda bland and the portions were small. Plus the food was ugly.

Anywho, I have some other stories, but I haven't loaded those pictures yet, and I need to pack. We're getting ready for to go on a trip to Huang Shan. There's supposed to be beautiful. Really scenic mountains and what not. I'll write more when I get back.

1 comment:

marcia said...

hey, we want to hear about something other than the FOOD! Actually, it's good to know you're not going hungry. Write more when you can little brother. Love you lots!! be safe.
Natalie